Freeloading Phill and ...

... Flashback Fun

Not much to write about work wise - other than the continued printer hell I have been suffering, can you believe I had to actually install alternative printers AND set up label printers that have only been on my to-do list for six months! I mean really, the amount of actual work I have had to do in this lead-up to Xmas is becoming a bit of a a sore point. Add in the serious lack of free Xmas snacks in the branch kitchens and it makes for a rather unhappy IT Man and that way lies madness...

Anyway, I digress.

In my mad scramble for content in this pre Xmas post frenzy I thought I would mention the goings-on at the gaming table last night.

It all actually began as I was on hiking to the station to catch my train home. BestFriendSincePrep called to inform me that not only was tonight the last gaming night of the year (not true as both the next two Tuesdays will see dice tumbling action) but also that because of said significance I should email everyone else to bring a plate of snacks.

Now far be it from me to fan the fires of rivalry but my gaming table is quite a different place to the rigorously enforced snack bringing domain of the likes of The Viking Hat GM - our table realised years ago that snacks contribute to fatbeardiness and making this change a) less than an hour before starting; b) out of the blue; and c) for a completely misperceived reason; is just a befuddling event.

However as it came from BestFriendSincePrep it makes perfect sense so I had him call Gavman - likely to be the only one still at his work desk that late in the day - and get him to email everyone else who wouldn't be at their computers anyway.

I dutifully contributed to my now habitual late arrival by diverting to a snack haven on my way to Legion2's so as not to dissapoint everyone on such a momentous occasion.

In the end, as expected, only myself and BFSP brought anything and the whole thing is sort-of re-scheduled for next week.

Oh I meant to say something about the actual game.
The actual role-playing part of the evening was reasonably rewarding for me as I was able to include a Flashback sequence for ArchEnemy's character and have the rest of the table play extras in various scenes (allowing for some repeated vengeful slaying of BFSP's characters).
The flashback is a device for which I've always carried a certain amount of fondness in gaming, despite the inherent problems of improvising something when you know at least a little of how it is supposed to turn out.
I think the attraction for me is in being able to add back-story to characters in a way that's more memorable than a couple of paragraphs on a sheet of paper.
I do think everyone enjoyed it though or maybe they just enjoyed the unusual occurrence of snacks at the table?
.

1 comment:

Hanley Tucks said...

It was the snacks they enjoyed, I'm sure.

Are you saying the people who game with me are all fatbeards?!

Just think of it as a text game.

> EAT SNACKS
> ROLL DICE
> CHEER
> ENTER BED
> TOSS TURN WITH POSTGAME POSTSNACK BUZZ
> WAKE UP SHAGGED
> GOTO GYM
> WAIT ONE WEEK

[repeat]