Freeloading Phill and ...

... The Making of a Speech

I meant to post an entry yesterday but all my spare computer time has been filled with the hand-carving of my best-man speech for Legion2's wedding reception on Saturday night.
It's coming along swimmingly and, in fact, the big danger may be running over my 7-8 minute limit by 10 minutes or so.

Said hand-carving has been taking place in Google Docs which means I can say:
(246 Alternate Title: Thing #18 Web-based Apps)
and knock off another one of the 23 things (which I need to do now that 2.1 is here and there are another 23 things).
Google Docs works quite well for traveling from place to place without the need for saving files to disk or M$ Office. It's "lack" of advanced formating tools actually makes it much more productive and the absence of Petey Paperclip is it's apotheosis.


Other things keeping me busy have included such great fun as:
  • spending many days setting up new PCs at Beaumaris branch with no help from Imposter Phil or Polish Chris at council IT since they are snowed under after CC's recent departure - apparently with all the knowledge of how IT things work
  • making the mistake of visiting Brighton branch and walking away seven new jobs for the worse
  • adding more Ding to our circulation PCs. A little investigation uncovered the sound file used for nigh-inaudible alerts by our LMS and it's swift change will now go on to annoy staff no end whilst ensuring they no longer miss alerts
  • having to listen to unprovoked insults from the new children's librarian - "this food is for the Summer Reading Club party this afternoon and you are not to eat it Phill" and Days of our Libraries - "please tick which meal options you want on training day - and you can't tick all of them Phill". One suspects Torchwood's hand is behind it all.

Prior to coming home tonight Legions2-4 and I collected our penguin costumes for Saturday night in a scheduling move maliciously designed to deny me my soccer game. Of course finding out that Legion3 was in the end able to make the 4.30 time which would have allowed me to go on to kick the round ball did wonders for my extreme sense of lose.

No comments: