Freeloading Phill and ...

... The Puzzling DVD Classification

So here I am whiling away my Labour Day holiday doing very little of much import.

Naturally my gaze strays towards my heretofore unwatched loan of the new Doctor Who series three so kindly provided by the library (really you should go there and borrow stuff - honestly I don't get a commission).

My eyes happened to linger upon the classification section for longer than the usual passing glance and lo and behold I actually read it.

PG - Mild violence and supernatural themes, Some frightening scenes, Mild science fiction themes

Mild science fiction themes!!

What the hell does that even mean in the context of a warning classification?

I am still boggled as to what this is specifically trying to warn people or parents about. Science Fiction is not inherently scary and that possible angle is covered by the supernatural themes and frightening scenes warnings so that doesn't seem like it.
Maybe they think that there may be something confronting for young minds in science fiction? Might as well label every DVD with mild reality themes as well so parents know they have to supervise their kids.

All in all I can only conclude that it is the continuation of the grand librarian conspiracy to ghetto-ise Scifi and Fantasy and keep the world safe from these terrible genres and only ready genres that are sensible and realistic, like crime.

.

2 comments:

Karyn said...

I'm with you.
As a futures thinking in training (masters of strategic foresight) I can't stress how important SF is. In my first 3 days of Uni this week we spent at least half of that time talking about the importance of science fiction to the field of futures thinking!!

Hanley Tucks said...

My question is, "mild science fiction themes"? Mild?

He travels through time in a police box which is larger on the inside than out and fights alien invasions of Earth. "Mild"? What would "strong" science fiction themes be?