Freeloading Phill and ...

... Too Many Ten-Hour Days

This week has been a hectic mess.

After a relatively relaxing May the 4th Be With You gaming day on Sunday (in which Badger won every one of the Star Wars focused games) I dived head first into early starts and late finishes as the printer rollout went live. Well at first it went half-live and then it went live-with-problems and finally it went live-with-only-minor-glitches.

On Monday I went from branch to branch and back again setting everything up and eventually left to arrive a couple of hours late for my new game at The Viking Hat GM's where I was able to unwind for a few hours playing an upper-class twit.

Tuesday, aka Go-Live Day #1, was going smoothly until our new printing system people hit me with this doozy - "only 10,000 of your 48,000 printing accounts were brought across".
For reasons unfathomable they didn't consider it was necessary to inform me of this interesting fact until I inquired of them as to why only a fifth of our borrowers where able to access the new printing system that they'd said was ready to go live.
Suffice to say by Wednesday afternoon the missing records had been moved across to the new printing system. The extra records won't work with the new computer bookings system coming along in a few weeks - the reason they didn't import them - but I'll cross that bridge when we come to it, or maybe I'll take some annual leave.
Late Wednesday night I finished up some signage for the coin-machines and printers and toodled home to collapse.

Back bright and early Thursday I created the final signage - well final until Torchwood casts her evil marketing eye over it - and deployed across all the branches in a series of flying visits.
A most magnificent side-effect of visiting all branches was that I was able to participate in the biggest morning tea at three of them - indulging to my stomachs content in some of the best brownies, sc-own-es, cakes and slices that librarians can produce.

Sadly leaving the Beaumaris cakes behind I had to make a lightning raid on The Professor's lab, a way down South, to collect some Top Secret Stuff.

Hurtling back North I hoped to be home in time to catch a train so that I could attend a girlie film preview gifted to me by Sister Serials. Alas I was able to see the train on the crossing as I approached my domicile. This lead to me rushing to catch a connecting train to minimise my lateness. Interestingly I found that I can now jog with my injured knee.
After all of that franticness I arrived mere minutes before Rugrat Twin, also running late, only to discover that we were attending the worst organised film preview ever.

It turns out that when the exclusive preview flyer says:
To attend the screening in your capital city, RSVP is essential. Simply email your name ... and your name will be added to the guest list ... note only successful RSVPs will be notified until capacity is reached.
And your reply email says:
Thank you for your email. Two free seats will be reserved under your name...
The event can still be drastically overbooked?!? Thank you Hopscotch films.

Oh well. In the end we took up the venues generous offer to see another movie for free and I was spared from girlie romance. The replacement we chose was Moliere. It was an enjoyable film and a worthy replacement - although it did still have a touch of the girlie about it.

Friday morning was a relaxed morning which became a little more frantic until I managed to use the new printing system's admin program to correct a charging error - despite the system suppliers claiming it was a problem with the printers themselves. The rest of the day was a series of glitch fixing jobs before I could finally head home and relax at the end of a very long week.

Today I have: slept in, finally read some more of my latest book, taken my knee for a long walk and switched on the home computer again, to see what I missed while I was off in printer land.
Tonight I shall spend relaxing as I will be heading off to tackle Freeloading Mum's ADSL problem in the morning.

1 comment:

Stompy said...

Poor T-Man! Sounds like you need a glass of meat to keep your energy up: http://dinnerinabottle.com