Freeloading Phill and ...

... The Great Slide into Irregularity

Once again my self-imposed goal of one post every four or five days has slipped away from me. Looking back I can't understand how I was able to succeed at the whole 25 Blogs of Xmas thing.
I guess I can blame this tie on old-age or the heat or the huge amount of work I am doing (take note Supervisor Grand Chief K).

In any case here is a selection from the previous week or so - although with the elapsed time several ideas/pontifications have slipped away never to be brought to life on these pages - whomever it was that said "if it's a good idea you will remember it" is completely wrong, I've lost so many good ideas to the aether that I now make sure I write them down whenever possible.


The Plethora of BBQs

My birthday weekend was marked by an over-abundance of BBQs - so many, in fact, that I had to decline one. The regular family one was first up and was followed the next day by the real-people housewarming BBQ for The Viking Hat GM. Much good food and conversation was had - all without a single dice being rolled!


The Haze of Summer
Speaking of He of the Horn-ed Hat, he has written a succinct post called Fires and Silence (in his Viking-hatted Hippy mode) saying pretty much what I would say about the current Victorian bushfire situation if The Tales weren't so focused on food and frivol.

I must say though that I have been awed by the effect on familiar places and the haze of woodsmoke that has been over the city for much of the week turning the sun into a looming orange globe in the sky.

The media is also full of people and organisations big-noting themselves over how much they are giving to help the victims which tweaks my cynic impulses no end, but at least they are giving.


The Planning of a Conference
On a lighter note I was in the city on Wednesday with Skeptic L and Comrade Treasurer making sure that the food and drink facilities for this years conference would be more than adequate. There was also some talk about halls and IT equipment but I'm sure that will sort itself out on the day.


The RFIDs Again
We had another branch go live with RFID on Thursday. Everything went exactly as I had expected - right down to the great network slowdown of the middle afternoon.
Oh well such is the IT life.


The Endless Poker Night
My weekend has been consumed by yet another of BestFriendSincePrep's wacky schemes. This one was all about the best way to spend Valentine's Day - poker!!
So along with StumpyRudolph and The Electric Tiger we embarked on a card-crusade with BFSP's goal of seeing dawn hanging over us.

Well I made it, thanks to not being allowed to leave when everyone else's stamina gave out at 4.30 because apparently "only drunk people say they have not had too many drinks in the last ten hours".
I bided my time watching The Island and then made good my escape in the morning haze to finally reach my much needed bed.

I awoke late in the afternoon once again without most of my day and swearing to never follow BestFriendSincePrep's lead in anything ever again.
.

No comments: