Freeloading Phill and ...

... The Fabulous Free 50th Feast

This Thursday past was Sandringham Library's 50th birthday and it had it's birthday party in the evening.

At first I thought there may have been some sort of conspiracy to keep me away from the food as I was in meetings at Brighton all morning and then there was a mix-up that had me hanging around waiting to make Beeby into "my young apprentice" - in the work sense since he's already well down the freeloading road all on his own.


Eventually I made it to Sandy but all the anxiety about missing out on the free feed led me to almost overdo the pre-feast eating - the nibbling and scrounging from the preparation table covered with the magnificent cake-work of Days of our Libraries and Country Girl, not to mention the many horses doovers and the dippyness of Mr Prada.
So heres another caution: pace yourself on a feast day as there's nothing worse than a wasted free dinner.

Luckily my years of training and robust constitution led to a quick recovery from that horrific "I ate too quickly and there's still so much more to eat" feeling and I was able to consume with the best of them by the time the main event rolled around - it will take the knuckle bruising from repeated "you can't eat that yet" rapping a bit longer to heal though.

The opening speech was given by Supervisor Grand Chief K with no sign of Torchwood. I can only hope that this means that SGCK has had the Torchwood problem taken care of permanently.

Other highlights include:
  • a lot of mingling with the ghosts of Sandringham librarianship past
  • Kiwichick, Days and The Pragmatist sporting wonderful 50's fashion
  • the return of Chanlib and Vikki;
  • a dozen library staff behind the desk when borrowers came up to be served;

My suspicion about a food deprivation conspirary deepened at the end of the night when the leftovers were quickly hustled out the door to go to the other branches rather than stay at the one I'd be at the next day.

1 comment:

Oops.. I deleted my blog!! said...

Awwww! Your "years of training and robust constitution" not to mention being the first born(practice child) should help you overcome the "knuckle bruising" from the "you can't eat that yet" mantra...