Freeloading Phill and ...

... Bag of Bones by Stephen King

I knocked off the last couple of hundred pages of this after finally getting back on the train to work for a couple of days this week.

I've been taking a bit of a break from Mr King's oeuvre but decided to read this in preparation for tackling the Svetlana-ese version that I received as a gift from the gorgeous lady herself just prior to my trip this last December.

It was mostly a by-the-numbers work showcasing his frequent tropes of: smalltown Maine life, the writing process, the nastiness in people and supernatural revenge. I rate it a three out of five mostly because it did have me reading late into the night to find out what was going on at the end.

Given that most of the first half of the book dealt with writer's block and a child custody case before the supernatural came to the fore, I feel that I've gotten full story value out of my "in genre" read when a "proper" book about "real" or realistic people and events would have been only half a good story - and who'd only want to read half a good story?

No comments: