Freeloading Phill and ...

A Roman Holiday

In the last half a year one has developed a small interest in the ancient world, predominantly around the Roman Empire.

It sprouted from my deciding to dip my toes into a game that used a similar system to Memoir '44, one of my favourites. Once dipped I found the game, with the unwieldy name of Commands and Colors: Ancients to have evoked quite the feel of the time and I was intrigued to know more.

As all good library staff do, I dabbled in a little internet research, until one day fatefully crossing my path at the returns desk was a little book that goes by the title Eagle of the East by L. S. Lawrence. It was an enjoyable read with some incite into the ancient world and the ways of the Roman Army.

Carrying on with my interest you can see it seeping into my fantasy game of the moment - Mundus Senecit - informing the feel of the world and the Viredean Empire.

And of course I continue to play the CC:A game. Why just last night I had Badger, Gavman, and Pirate Dave over for a couple of battles which were so involved we could smell the heat, dust, blood, and most importantly, sandals, as if you were really there.
.

No comments: