Freeloading Phill and ...

... The Career-Ending Injury

No I'm not talking about some heinous injury to the two fingers I use for typing things into these infernal computing devices. Rther something more unfortunate has arisen.

In the dying minutes of last Thursday's soccer game my knee decided to half-pop for no reason other than my running full-tilt to beat another player to the ball.
It was a bit of a night for carnage as SoccerBuddy aggravated his hamstring and another player left early with an injured calf.

My knee gave only momentary pain and I was walking fine by the time I returned to my car with just a bit of a "twinged" feeling about the joint.

Alas my physio, however, had other ideas.

After some examination he pronounced it to be a most rugged and manly sporting injury - ruptured anterior cruciate.

Finally I am alongside the top athletes of our day.
Unfortunately I don't have the resources or time to devote my days to rapid recovery so I shall have to make do with almost no impact on day to day life and, should I return to soccer, being relegated to only goal keeping.
There will be an assessment in six weeks and we will see if any surgery will be necessary for general usage but the good doctor seemed quite the optimistic fellow.


As staying in goal lacks a lot of the running to position and playing the passing game that I enjoy this most likely means that I shall have more free time in the future.

This free time may well be time to write and I do have an idea for a fascinating first novel - completely made up of course.

This is the opening line. What do you think?

Bill, having suffered a terrible elbow injury playing badminton, decided to become a famous writer of novels.

.

1 comment:

Stompy said...

Ooh nasty injury! I had a friend do her knee that way during a skiing race. I heard her scream from the top of the ski run about 500m away. And my sister's boyfriend did his knee, also a soccer injury. He had a really good surgeon... if it turns out you need a recommendation.