Freeloading Phill and ...

... The Abandoned Book

With a slight dearth of things of which to elaborate upon I am going back a week or so to inform you all of the last book I was reading.

I should say attempting to read - as my post title states I was forced to abandon my reading.

The book in question is The Iron Tree by Cecilia Dart-Thornton whose author bio paints her as a bit of a loon.
Being a fantasy novel it is book one of her second trilogy. You'd think that she must have done something right with her first trilogy but the eminently trustworthy Miss Amanda informs me that she failed to make it past page 60 of CDT's first opus. To further cement my belief in the correctness of my book abandoning MatrixMan agrees about the waffling nature of the first trilogy and the obviousness of the authors particular favourite subjects of interest.

Anyway on to the actual book at hand. It is a psuedo-celtic high fantasy of the farm boy with a destiny variety. The pseudo celtic includes mini essays on houshold spirits, folk tales, and assorted wights who, for all the word-count devoted to them, don't have very much to do with the story at all.
There are also many indepth discussions of the particular ways that various craftsmen create their wares - a simple stroll through a market at one point takes an unbelievable number of pages to complete because it is apparently necessary that we know how the potter came upon his clay to make the tiny pots that the protagonist affords only a passing glance.
In general each sentence has at least one to many scintilating effervescant adjectives and all of the characters talk in a prithee thee manner.
A gave up at the halfway point when the big secret about the heros past completely failed to excite me and I couldn't face the remaining half of the book.

My rating is one and a half stars.
.

1 comment:

Hanley Tucks said...

"Quite recently, at the age of sixteen, she was ‘discovered’ on the Internet when she posted some of her work to an Online Writing Workshop. An editor contacted her by email,"

Hoo boy. I wonder if that editor is still employed?